Good Christian Bi***es
ABC released its 2011-2012 TV schedule this week. One of the show that will debut at mid-season is Good Christian Belles. This show is based on the book Good Christian Bi***es. I’ll let you figure out the name from there. ( Notice that I put astericks in the right places. Not spelling this vulgar word is evidence of my godliness.)
Evidently this show is kind of a Mean Girls meets Desperate Housewives with a several “Christian” characters thrown in. Many people within our churches are outraged. Petitions are being signed at a high rate as I write this. As someone who often blogs about my faith and the Church/church, I knew that I had to respond with something that represented how I feel about this.
I don’t care.
Jaws are dropping. People are now outraged at me. The number of visitors to my blog will drop from highs in the 40’s to the 30’s. After all, I am a big time blogger. People care about what I think.
So, why don’t I care? Well, let me list the reasons:
1. Jesus doesn’t need me to defend Him. He’s been doing alright for 2000 years.
2. The Church doesn’t need me to defend it. The gates of Hell will not prevail against it.
3. When I get outraged and take stands against this type of thing, I become known for what I am against rather than what I am for.
4. Pagans are going to do what pagans are going to do. What do you really expect out of the TV/Movie industry?
5. I don’t think this show will last. I give it about 4 or 5 weeks.
6. I think it’s often the lazy way out for those of us who follow Christ to sign petitions, boycott and get outraged. It allows us to “standup for Jesus” without getting too close or getting our hands dirty.
7. When we Christians make a big deal about stuff like this we often give it more publicity than it would have gotten if we had just been quiet. Don’t you think the show runners will get excited about any controversy we create over this? People will watch to see what the big deal is?
How about this? How about we imitate Paul at Mars Hill? How about us using the opportunity these situations present to share the Gospel in love without the anger? How about us turning the philosophies of the world around and use them against them? Why not use the idols of the unknown god to show Who the one true God is? If people know you follow Christ, they may ask you what you think. Don’t act angry, upset or indignant. Tell them you don’t think it’s an accurate portrayal and why. Tell them that we all fall short of the glory of God, even after you become a Christian. Tell them it’s a process after coming to know Christ. Love that person. Share Christ. Glorify Christ.
I may be wrong about all of this. I may not. Either way, stay tuned.