10,000 Reasons Being Fired From My Church Was Awesome
Two years ago today a man from my former church arrived at my home at 7:15 p.m. He proceeded to fire me from my position of Sunday School teacher. There was no explanation or discussion. It happened and he left. Subsequently, my family and I left the church that we had been members of for the better part of seventeen years.
We went through a range of emotions that included rage, anger, and disappointment. There was embarrassment, as my own actions contributed to this happening. We still had family in that church, and they had to deal with the ramifications of this event taking place.
With the two-year anniversary arriving, and two years of perspective, how do I feel about it now?
I feel awesome about it.
Sure, there is still the raw emotion that pops up when I see the folks responsible for firing me in the community. I still struggle with that. I can’t and won’t pretend that it doesn’t exist. Overall, though, I am in good shape and it ‘s ultimately the best thing that could have happened. Here are a few reasons why this turned out to be awesome:
- I learned to know the Lord in ways that I can’t even explain
- I learned to depend on the Lord more than I ever have in my life
- I was able to experience several different churches during our church search
- I made new friends at a church we temporarily landed
- I was able to heal, even though scars remain
- I learned many important lessons
- I was able to help a friend who is going through a similar situation now
- I came full circle in our lives regarding church
- I are now part of a church where we have felt more welcome than we ever have in our lives
Those aren’t the only reasons. There are others being revealed every week, if not every day.
And there are 10,000 other reasons that I have absolutely no idea about that the Lord is using this event in my and other’s lives.
Have you ever had something that initially seemed bad turn out to be awesome?